The textiles industry accounts for 4% of the yearly productive output of the world. Textiles are everywhere: from clothing, to architecture, to medical devices. And graphics researchers have developed a wealth of techniques for the design, simulation, and rendering of virtual cloth. How can we put these results to work in the real world? What textiles research questions have we overlooked? Workshop attendees will hear from both textiles industry experts about problems graphics could solve, and from a few researchers who are already taking their results into the real world. Opportunities for the exploration of potential collaborations will be provided.
- Weft: an online tool for textile design and manufacturing (PDF) Brooks Hagan, Steve Marschner
- New Balance (PDF) William Vaughn, Math Whitaker
- Textiles: from real to virtual (and back again) with fashion designers Christian Harris, Pat Trautman NOTE: slides not available
- Propel (PDF) Anjali Khemani, Clare King
- Nimbly (PDF) Mariano deGuzman, Ellen Freeborn